Fighting For Victims Of Police Misconduct
Police officers have incredibly difficult jobs, and they are given a tremendous amount of power to do their jobs. Sometimes police officers abuse that power and violate the civil rights of California citizens. Brock & Gonzales LLP represents victims of police misconduct.
Types Of Police Misconduct Cases
- Excessive/Deadly Force: A police officer can only use the force that a reasonable law enforcement officer would have used under similar circumstances. Therefore, when an officer uses any type of force, whether that is an arm bar, a Taser, a baton, a dog, or a gun, their use of force must be reasonable. Frequently, an officer is justified in their use of force; however, when the force is unnecessary, you are entitled to obtain compensation for any harm you suffered.
- False Arrest:Police must have probable cause to arrest someone, and an arrest without probable cause violates the Constitution. Probable cause exists when a normal person would have concluded that an individual had committed or was committing a crime.
- Jail Neglect & Abuse: In jail, you are in the care, custody and control of the jail owner, which is usually a governmental entity. If you are subject to abuse or neglect while in jail and you suffered harm, you are entitled to recover compensation.
What Can You Recover In A Police Misconduct Case?
- All of your medical and expenses, even if your health insurance paid for your medical treatment
- Monetary compensation for your past and future mental suffering, anxiety, humiliation, and emotional distress
- Punitive damages to punish the police officer, if warranted
- Attorney’s fees and costs
Schedule A Free Consultation
If you feel that you or a loved one’s civil rights have been violated by the police, contact us to set up a free consultation. Please call 310-294-9595 or contact us via email. With offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento, we represent individuals and families throughout California.
“I have happily referred this law firm to friends of mine and family and anyone that I come across who needs professional and positive services. I will highly recommend.”
– Anthony L.