Dedicated Trial Attorneys

For Employment Law And Personal Injury Law

Photo of the legal professionals at Brock & Gonzales LLP

I received a wrongful termination, what should I do?

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2019 | Firm News |

The state of California, like any other state, allows you to file a wrongful termination claim if you feel that your firing was under discriminatory reasons or if it was under the violation of an employment act. There are specific illegal reasons for termination that the state of California has put in place to protect employees. 

If your employment is under a contract, and it promises you to work for a certain period, the law prohibits your employer from firing you until the time in the agreement is complete. If your employer goes against the contract and fires you, it gives you a strong claim against the employer. In California, a contract of employment may be an oral or written agreement. You have the right to sue your employer if he breaks an agreement and receive benefits and wages. 

Workplace discrimination is highly prohibited in California. You may sue your employer if they fire you due to your race, skin color, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, political beliefs, age, religion, military status, among other reasons. By winning a wrong work termination case of discrimination, you may receive your lost wages as well as some additional benefits. Your employer may also have to pay your attorney fees, court costs, and any other damages that arise as a result of emotional distress. 

The law protects you from any retaliation by the employer for exercising your rights. It prohibits your employer from firing you once you raise a complaint about harassment at work or discrimination. If your employer terminates your employment for making a complaint, you may sue your employer. 

This information is only meant to educate you about wrongful termination. Do not take it for a legal advice.