Dedicated Trial Attorneys

For Employment Law And Personal Injury Law

Photo of the legal professionals at Brock & Gonzales LLP

DUI driver causes deadly chain reaction crash on 15 Freeway, charged

On Behalf of | Jun 19, 2019 | Serious Injuries |

Drunk driving accidents happen fairly frequently on California roads, but the one time most people do not expect them to happen is on a random weekday morning on the way to work. Regardless of when an accident occurs, it can have devastating consequences on a person’s health and finances, which is why California law allows accident victims to pursue compensation.

Unfortunately, some victims of DUI crashes are unable to pursue justice for themselves. Per a KTLA5 story, such is the case for one Murrieta woman, whom law enforcement pronounced dead at the scene of an accident that occurred during the early morning commute on the 15 Freeway.

Witnesses of the accident said that the offender — a Washington state resident with prior DUI and felony convictions — was driving at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour when his truck plowed into the back of a sedan. Dashcam footage shows the truck striking the victim’s car. The impact ripped the roof and trunk off the car and smashed the back seats in.

The collision triggered a chain-reaction event that involved several other vehicles. One vehicle careened off the freeway and into the wall of a parking structure as a result of the impact.

The driver of the first vehicle hit died at the scene. The driver of the car sent off the freeway suffered major injuries. Three other drivers sustained minor injuries. The intoxicated driver walked away uninjured.

The DUI driver faces a count of driving under the influence of a drug. He faces enhanced penalties for causing great bodily harm. If convicted, he faces life in prison.

When a victim of an accident is unable to pursue compensation and justice for him or herself, the victim’s family has the right to do so. Individuals who have experienced loss at the hands of a negligent or reckless person should consult with an attorney regarding their recovery options.